Thursday, 7 July 2011

Calorie Counter

Quick update before I go sleep:
I've decided to keep track of my diet through the Calorie Counter from About.com. Just a quick overview of its functions, they have a comprehensive list of food items, albeit a bit lacking in restaurant menu items. If that does not suffice, you can always add in your custom food and its nutritional data according to the box.

Next, the site will fully calculate for you the approximate amount of calories or nutrients you need to achieve your goal (weight loss, gain, or maintenance). There are many other inputs as well, which is what makes this program so flexible. Under the settings area, you really get to define your current conditions and your goals to fit your own regimen. For example, it will incorporate your height/weight/age (standard), nightly sleep, starting and goal weight, target calories, body time, activity level.

On the point of activity level, it will also allow you to add different types of activity you do: Running, 6.0MPH, 35 minutes, for instance. All that will factor into your activity log, will calculates the number of calories you've burnt while also adding in the maintenance calories burnt as a function of time. Id est, by 1:00pm in the afternoon your burnt calories bar will be halfway, but by 9:00pm it'll be almost filled to indicate the amount of burning you did. This is what allows you to figure out whether you have a net calorie loss or gain!

Anyway, I recommend all of you check it out because it's so neat. Even if you're not on a diet or counting calories (which, as a side note, is extremely cumbersome!).

42 comments:

  1. I might check this out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Babe. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea for a piece of software!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool. (:

    And a quick question...is that you in the profile pic?

    'Cause if it is...well, you'd better thank god that I'm not lesbian.

    Just saying. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. too much work for me, i'll just go for a run. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It should be of use, my wife follows one and has a food diary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely dedicated myself to fitness yesterday, something like this would come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really useful for someone that really wants to keep track of every little thing. Personally, I just eat smaller meals but more meals a day and that seems to be a pretty balanced diet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    Nice post, I like your blog.
    Keep up the good work!
    +Follow

    ReplyDelete
  11. i use the "calories- the more the merrier" system

    ReplyDelete
  12. It can never hurt paying attention to your diet and activity level. You are what you eat. I consider myself I fairly healthy person and find your blog interesting I will follow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is really great!
    +1 and following.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great way to get on your way to be more mindful of what your diet is! I'm all for it! Following by the way, thank you for the comment! Keep reading, I update regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like that counter has a lot going for it. +followed.

    you can cut out a few hundred calories by adding
    www.myshakeology.com/Dshot316

    ReplyDelete
  16. seems like a useful tool - thanks for sharing yo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I follow the “Guilt diet” –

    Eat as much as you want
    You feel guilty
    You start to worry
    When you worry you lose weight
    Thus the more you eat the more weight you lose….

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good ideas. I like your blog! Following :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    This would make my life sooo much easier, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like what BlackLOG says. It's probably what I do as well. Interesting post though :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    Definitely gonna have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    this is a good idea. good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a good idea. I was going to make an android app like this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. im gonna check that, seems interesting
    +Followed

    ReplyDelete
  25. like your blog and thanks for following mine. i've added you too! look forward to lots of great info!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I rather not count calories. I've always lived by the notion of "What you don't know can't hurt you".

    ReplyDelete
  27. sorry, i suck. i eat absolutely everything and anything and have absolutely no regard. A complete and utter glutton!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fatties...fatties everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  29. i will def check this out. its just what i needed to realize how bad i eat without even noticing. thanks for this. +1 follower

    ReplyDelete
  30. In addition, my two cents is to wear more clothing when doing cardio/sweating, those calories will just drip off.

    ReplyDelete
  31. will look into, but i weigh 120 right now. Rofl

    ReplyDelete
  32. calories are easy to burn, for me lol. followed!!

    http://thebasementx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. i might try this, i've been very unhealthy lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    Keep them counting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for the recommendation, followed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yeah, calorie counting is a real pain in the ass. I think I have seen a app that you can snap a photo of your food and they will estimate the calories.

    ReplyDelete