Hello Blogasa,
So recently I came across this article that deals with How to Ask a Near Stranger for a Favour. It's really neat and definitely very useful in the business world. I thought I'd share with you all:
http://blogs.hbr.org/silverman/2009/08/how-to-ask-a-near-stranger-for.html
Now, there's definitely a good, an okay, and a bad way to ask someone for a favour (e.g. go out for coffee with you, introduce you to someone, do something for you, etc etc). The author here definitely brings some of those points to attention. Granted, I don't agree with all of his points - not everyone is looking for personal gain, for example - so do take some of these with a grain of salt.
Also check out some of the comments under the post, readers write back in and discuss the tips he writes about. They've definitely brought up most of the criticisms I had of the letter he wrote.
Now I turn the question to you guys: Which of the changes do you agree/disagree with? How would you write such a letter?
great link it really makes sense to me
ReplyDeletehttp://afdreview.blogspot.com/
Really like that text, might actually be of any help somewhere in the future, but not now though.
ReplyDeleteI think the changes were for the better.
ReplyDeleteTx, might come in use!
ReplyDeletewow useful
ReplyDeletecertainly agree with the need to respect both the person asked for a favor as well as the relationship between him and the person X
seems like just common sense, no?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the guide man <3
ReplyDeletei honestly don't know
ReplyDeletevery, very, very useful :) <3
ReplyDeletenice article, kinda helpful, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing stuff like that, this is one of those things that at first sight you think naaaah what do i want this for? but you never know when it can come in handy.
ReplyDeleteCould come in handy ;)
ReplyDeletevery useful, many thanks
ReplyDeleteI have a lot of trouble talking to strangers, but it's mostly due to trust issues, even if I read how to deal with them, it probably won't do me much good lol.
ReplyDeleteI found this fairly useful - I've happened across a few occasions where knowing these things would have been pretty helpful, most notably in asking for job recommendations. Glad to have stumbled across this blog, followed for great justice!
ReplyDeleteGood advice but I don't think I would ever use it. I would just feel awkward.
ReplyDeleteGood writed, can't wait next post xD
ReplyDeleteCool information I'll have to try it when I find myself speaking to a stranger.
ReplyDeleteI never talk to strangers!
ReplyDeleteCheck me out @ http://yearningandlearning.blogspot.com/
;)
I thought the first letter was better. Straight to the point.
ReplyDeletepretty good imo.
ReplyDeleteexcellent writing and thanks for the compliments on the paintings. +followed and look forward to reading much more!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is great!
ReplyDeleteit is better now, nice one Jessica, keep it up and i'll be following you.
ReplyDeleteGood guide :D
ReplyDeleteWaiting next post.
I thought the first example was decent until I read the second one!
ReplyDeleteStranger Danger, stranger danger!
ReplyDeleteSo helpful but kind of creepy, you have to know what kind of stranger your asking for help
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info! nice post.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Really informative.
ReplyDeleteas long as you are friendly and outgoing, meeting and greeting with strangers is easy! just gotta be nice, and confident
ReplyDeleteCheking the link. Thanks for sharing it
ReplyDeleteHaha the spongebob theme was funny. For me, i just treat everyone like a friend and try to erase any awkwardness. We're all humans, after all.
ReplyDeleteI'm not in business as I work in the public sector but this could possibly be used in life anyway.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was almost a troll email with all the SBSP references. But yeah, some of those tips are pretty common sense I guess
ReplyDeleteI can't remember an instance in which I ask a favor of a complete stranger...
ReplyDeleteStrangers and favours don't go hand in hand for me. I'm kinda shy sometimes. I can always take advice to see what might help. Excellent post, liked it.
ReplyDeleteMight check it out.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post. This might come handy soon. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm usually not in that type of position. But it seems like common sense to me... i need to write a book.
ReplyDeletegreat post! thanks!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! And thanks for the info ") could come in handy ").
ReplyDeleteI think it's safer to assume that everyone's out for personal gain.
ReplyDeleteI think this would be useful to anyone, even the most social-able people have trouble talking to strangers sometimes.
ReplyDeleteThis could really prove to be useful to almost any individual out there. Everyone could use a favor every now and then.
ReplyDeletei never ask anyone for favors..
ReplyDeleteYou're a very nice.
ReplyDeletei thought asking for a favor came as common sense?
ReplyDeleteAm I missing something here? Why doesn't the guy writing this less than perfect note just call the person that he is trying to meet? He could mention that they both know the guy that corrected the note quickly and then get on to what he is calling about, right?
ReplyDeletei will take what i learned her and see if it works.
ReplyDeleteInteresting because all your best friends started out as strangers. Despite it being somewhat nerve wracking, it's still an opportunity to start a new relationship. Even if that relationship only lasts for the duration of the conversation.
ReplyDelete