Monday, 4 April 2011

Zero Interest Credit Card

As a student, I'm always trying to save. And as a student, every penny helps. That's why I spent hours and hours scouring different credit card companies for a good rewards card.

First of all, I am very picky. I need some or all of the following features:
1) Cash-back
2) No annual fee
3) Low interest rate, if possible zero percent interest

Now, I hear a lot of people deciding about Visa vs Mastercard. In this day and age, that is not a deciding factor! Both are ubiquitous with merchants; where there's one, there's bound to be the other (although buying olympic tickets were a notable exception for Visa). Plus, what's stopping you from getting one of each?

I'll explain why I need each of these features.
Cash back: Getting 1% on every purchase adds up. Therefore, I pay for EVERYTHING with the card and hold minimal cash. $1.50 coffee? Throw it on the card. $0.50 stamp? Throw it on the card. With a monthly $500 balance, I get back a couple bucks per month which is nice.

No annual fee: This one is just silly. I'm not a consistent enough or rich enough user that I can make use of this. Most often paid cards will give you premium benefits like better rewards/cash back or lower interest rates. But you'd need to spend a crapload for it to pay off.

Low interest rate or zero interest rate: If I ever miss a bill, I need to be able to know that I can make the minimum payment and NOT get shot in the leg for holding a balance. Most cards charge you 20% which is just stupidly ridiculously high. The best I've seen are 11%, some perhaps even lower. If you are a student or someone else with a Part Time job or uncertain job, then make sure you have a good interest rate on your credit card! It will come in immensely helpful during those months you find yourself out of work.

AND finally, the juicy part, the solution:
Enter MBNA SmartCash Credit Card.
It gives 1% on all purchases, 3% on groceries and gas; and for the first 2 or 3 months, you get an extra 2% on groceries and gas (yes, 5% in total!). Great cash back for buying gas which is through the roof lately, as well as shopping for groceries which are always a necessity when living on your own.
Interest rate, I admit, is terrible (20%) but I think the smart cash makes up for it. Oh, and of course, no annual fee.

I encourage everyone to check it out and sign up for this card simply because it has the best reward out there right now. HOWEVER, I have no experience with their customer service so I can't comment on that. And with credit cards or financials, good CS can be a godsend.

53 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, long read though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't say I'm a big fan of credit cards, I stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also interested in a card with similar benefits as you, however I searched for that card and discovered that it's a UK thing, that's a shame as I live in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well said, although i don't usually make purchases on credit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to bad i am no student

    ReplyDelete
  6. But interest is like the whole business of the credit card...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm in the market for a CC, thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 0 percent interest credit card would be amazing, shame they will never exist :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20% interest rate? Sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good advice. I may consider switching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cash is the best way, keep your money on you & defend it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a sweet deal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That intrest rate is off the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying to avoid credit cards for as long as I can, but if (let's be honest, when) I need a little finaincial help later in the course, this'll come in really handy. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Might keep this in mind if I ever actually use the bloody things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be sure to look into all this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely need a low interest credit card to start building up some credit. But I'll hold off til I get a decent job

    ReplyDelete
  18. zero interest? Hmm I might have to look into getting one

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice read. If I ever need a credit card, I'll be sure to definitely look into that one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I try to avoid credit cards.
    Lots of debit cards give you a percentage back anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You give some good advice.Nice blog, following ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Consumerist.com had a decent review of credit card options last I was in the market for a new card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I stay away from credit cards at all cost.
    Great blog. +Followed!

    Remember to return the favor /b/rothers!
    http://rumblereport.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very anti-credit, good read nontheless

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does it have 0% for X months balance transfers?

    ReplyDelete
  26. are there really 0% interest CCs?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sitting on 20% interest here, sucks if I miss it but I always portion out what i'm going to spend so I make the payments.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not really into credit cards. I always use cash. :P

    ReplyDelete
  29. yeah, i'm in need of one

    ReplyDelete
  30. The CC companies seem to be competing for business again....cool news

    ReplyDelete
  31. okay, i will keep things in mind when i need a new card.

    ReplyDelete
  32. awesome! I've been looking for a better credit card. Will definitely check it out. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't even have a credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like either you search better or there's no similarily good offer in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hmm... I've been looking for a new card after my Amex screwed me (they decided one day to lower my limit to the current balance on it). I'm going to look into this, as just using my debit card doesn't reap any rewards. Following for more advice!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm still working on climbing out of a hole from this at the moment. but ur post will make me more wise the next time around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Zero interest you say? That can't quite be right, I find myself very interested.

    ReplyDelete
  38. if i ever get a credit card - ill be in tons of debt

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fuck credit cards, they always make me feel like I can spend more money than I actually have.... leading to debt.

    so I say, fuck em, no paper trail!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very Interesting, Thanks for sharing

    followed and added to my morning coffee

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like a great solution
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just a piece of plastic...

    ReplyDelete
  43. Nice advice, I'll be sure to follow it when I get a credit card!

    ReplyDelete
  44. credic cards are evil XD

    ReplyDelete
  45. I actually purchased a birthday gift with my credit card for the first time yesterday. PReviously I've only paid with cash which I've withdrawn from it lol

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am completely done with credit cards for the time being. I was royally screwed by Chase bank - they gave me the 'fuck you' trifecta. Lowered my credit limit to within $30 of the balance without saying anything. Exceeded that and incurred a fee. They moved up my payment due date by 3 days. My payment was late - incurred more fees. They raised my interest rate to 29.99% when I had never been late on a payment up to that point. I could no longer afford the payments, and I got screwed. It was the first time in my life I actually truly felt wronged, as though I'd been treated unfairly, and it made me extremely cynical.

    ReplyDelete
  47. As a lowly student myself I may have to give this a look in.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I don't like credit cards so it's good my gf earns enough money!

    ReplyDelete