Hey guys, thanks for all the tips! It never occurred to me to just rent the carpet cleaning machine... That's exactly what I'll do!
Now that 3 of my exams are done, I'm already looking to get rid of my old textbooks... I know it's quick, but seriously I threw away my notes as soon as the exam was over :D. Basically every school term, I hit up Saveonbook.com and Craigslist to grab all my textbooks used, sometimes old editions, for a fraction of MSRP. Then at the end of the year, I dump the books back on SaveonBook and Craigslist and get some or all of my money back.
For those of you who are buying books full price, please, please stop! Every year I save several hundred dollars, guaranteed, by visiting a few "selling used textbooks online" sites. Here's a few sites that I recommend:
Books 4 Exchange
Save On Book
Craigslist
Textbook Exchange
Also, check out your university bookstore, as they usually have a day where they let you sell your old textbooks to them for cash. Even though they buy the textbooks back at like 50% of what you buy it used for... Still better than nothing.
And one more tip, even if you buy textbooks from the bookstore, buy the used ones that other people sold back! They're usually placed right next to the new textbooks, and selling at like 10-30 bucks cheaper.
Goodluck!
Textbooks are the biggest scam.
ReplyDeleteAwwwww I still have all my textbooks in college... Nursing books are expensive and I couldn't just give it to someone. :|
ReplyDeleteI hate textbooks, because I always lose them when I need 'em
ReplyDeleteFUN!!!
ReplyDeletethanks for the info. if only we had that kind of service back a few years ago...
ReplyDeletemy school always offered a book by back date, but it got to the point where I stopped buying the books.
ReplyDeleteI'll remember these sites, who says I cannot read my courses in english while the rest reads it in swedish? Thanks :D
ReplyDeleteI dont sell my textbooks, I just save them for my library later, when I am rich and have huge villa with a room for my books only.
ReplyDeletei always get mine used, you save so much money!
ReplyDeleteWow, thats good advice :D
ReplyDeletePlease check out my blog too!
good advice :D
ReplyDeleteCraigslist is where i get my books from
ReplyDeleteI definitely went with used textbooks whenever I could in college. And sold em back when I finished. Save for a few books I wanted to keep.
ReplyDeleteBigwords.com saves me a whole lotta money
ReplyDeleteI bought a bunch of my textbooks on Abebooks, thats in the UK though so not sure if its international, haven't thought of selling them yet though!
ReplyDeleteYou should sell them quick. Good luck on sales.
ReplyDeleteAll textbooks should be digital, read through an iPad, kindle, or laptop. You could make notes on them, keep them, and the cost should go significantly down. Not to mention, the amount of storage space that would be saved both in warehouses, university bookstores, and in backpacks and messenger bags.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I don't know why we let the textbook people get away with this antiquated system.
Yep, sound advice. Especially considering that you'll never use those books again, why keep them?
ReplyDeleteI'm off to college in September so thanks for the tips. I'm sure they will come in handy when i get there :)
ReplyDeleteAlways tear random pages out of the book before you sell them.
ReplyDeleteI only buy the textbooks with themes I'm really intrested in. If you would buy all the textbooks the professor srecommends, you'd spend between 1000€ and 1500€ per semester.
ReplyDeleteDon't forget Half.com too!
ReplyDeleteMy wife rented most of her textbooks, which brought the price down. The books have to be returned to the bookstore at the end of the semester. This may not be available where you are, as I'd never heard of it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips.
ReplyDeletediddnt know they were so valuable! thx for the tip
ReplyDeleteWhat AllenTesch said.
ReplyDeletei always just stood in line and sold my textbooks back to the college bookstore.
ReplyDeleteThe best time of the year!
ReplyDeleteYou can save alot of money doing this. I am returning to college soon. So this advice is appreciated.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea. Sometimes it is worth it to get the book though. For example I had to take Statics and then Dynamics. I used the same textbook both semesters and it is a really good one. Also for calculus 1,2,3& differential equations I used the same textbook. It was worth the investment
ReplyDeletei use amazon, its the best
ReplyDeleteI never buy textbooks unless I really see myself using them. Amazon is a good place to start if you're looking for a decent deal, if you have any friends that just took the class, you could offer to buy it from them, chances are they will be selling that book back for next to nothing.
ReplyDeletei only use ebooks nowadays
ReplyDeleteBest part of the semester ending is selling book back! I'll use craigslist this time, thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips, I'll definitely use these when I go to college. Textbooks are so expensive.
ReplyDeletebooks are expensive all right. At my community college, one of the classes REQUIRED a book that cost as much as taking the class.
ReplyDeleteNice blog. also, we have the same last name! our genius minds must run in the family.
Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteI always just went to the bookstore and cried as they gave me like a dollar for a 200 dollar book.
ReplyDeleteI used to do this all the time, every semester in fact. Anything to recoup a little of the cost and also in turn add to the party fund.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips, that's a good idea.
ReplyDeleteBuy used, save a tree.
ReplyDeleteI love to throw away my books after xamz. It gives me a feeling of concurrence. :)
ReplyDeleteI have so many books lying around that I should sell but I never have the time to do that :D
ReplyDeleteI've been renting my books for a while, and it save a bunch. Thanks for the links, i'll check them out for next semester.
ReplyDeleteinteresant
ReplyDeleteBuying stuff used or in bulk is very smart but you need to get sure that the quality is ok
ReplyDeleteWhen buying text books don't pay any heed to thinking you need the latest edition.
ReplyDeleteJust photocopy any differences from a classmate - it may only be a couple of pages actually.
Good tip with the text books! Gotta save $$$
ReplyDeleteI tried to sell an expensive math text book back to the bookstore yesterday and they offered me three dollars... I took my textbook and left
ReplyDeletehehe, In germany the state buys our books!
ReplyDeletecash money yo
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips. I always just used ebay.
ReplyDeletethe buying and selling of textbooks. always a scam for college students. YOu hate buying them at price, but feel good when you can get some money out of it
ReplyDelete