Thursday, 21 April 2011

Network Security Software

Here's one of the videos we watched in class which was very very interesting. Pretty soon all clothing stores are going to be run this way... Frankly, I think it takes all the joy out of shopping. I mean, yeah it removes the hassle of trying on clothes, but seriously... That's the best part!

Anyway, some of you guys expressed interest in learning more about MIS, so I thought I'd tell you guys about Network Security Software.

Basically you can think of it as a firewall or anti-virus, except for a huge network. Network Security System does more than prevent unauthorized access to your network via usernames and passwords, but it also deals with encrypting and storing data properly. In fact, network security also encompasses simple mistakes that people make that cost the company loss of data; these data loss prevention techniques are all aspects of the network security system.

This is a huge issue! In 2007, Winners had a security breach of their website. They had 45.7 million credit and debt cards stolen over half a year by hackers who managed to penetrate the network. Another 455,000 who returned merchandise without receipts were robbed of their driver's license numbers and other personal information.

Eventually, Winners was charged $12 million for the security breach. In total, it has cost Winners about $25 million to date, and countless millions lost from customers who don't have the confidence to use their credit card online or shop with Winners (they were mandated to put a security alert on the front of their webpage regarding the network security issue).

So you decide whether this network security software crap is important!

52 comments:

  1. Wow, in the first few seconds, I thought it was a video for "If Mimes Shopped."
    It got better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CISCO ftw!!!
    It reminds me about a post i just did, taking the imagination our of shopping through a podcast!
    Check it out, you might like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a lot of videos like this for clothes shopping, I guess the world is really trying to move forward with this huh. you would really have to trust the store because I could see them using tricks to make you look better than you actually are, kind of like what grocery stores will do with food sometimes. and you wouldn't be able to see the quality of the dress. i dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! I'd totally be down to shop like that! I wouldn't have to carry my fiances clothes around for hours :) Make this happen please!!

    You should read about Mobys Latest Purchase if you have some free time. I am a very dedicated follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd hate shopping like that. Half of why I like my clothes is how they feel when I wear them, the way they look comes second (must be why it's so hard for me to find clothes I like). And also,when the dress is on you, the store could be lying to you about how it looks by making it look tighter-fitting or smoother than it actually is.

    Network security sounds a lot like a cloud network for encrypted info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate shopping all together. I was a big fan of online shopping when it came out so I could stay in the comfort of my own home or office and avoid all the noise and hassle of a crowded metropolis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same as Stelzare, there's something about trying clothes on properly, making sure they're the right fit, and having the right material.
    Profusely

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really think these RFID credit cards are a bad idea as featured in the commercial. It's so easy to read those w/o authorization.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah the same thing I was thinking about like two weeks ago this might be pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, i wonder when this becomes reality..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info. The shopping thing is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The video's kind of neat. The identity theft stuff is one of the reasons I don't have a credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I agree, the point of shopping is trying on new clothes! And yes I am a guy. And personally, technology is getting way too involved with our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with WanderingWrite, way too big of a security risk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is an excellent way to find the clothes you are interested, but then I would go try them on for real.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's it, I'm installing a third firewall and a fourth antivirus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's interesting

    ReplyDelete
  18. WPA2 standard, can never be too careful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat. I wouldn't mind trying on clothes without having to hop around in a little room removing my shoes and pants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shopping thing looks pretty practical. As to the security issue is something any website that stores sensitive information should do by now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. im ok with shopping this way

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have no concerns about my shopping experiance being ruined. I hate shopping. a3

    ReplyDelete
  23. As long as the clothing on screen would fit as they would in real life, I wouldn't mind that technology :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't shop at all :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like girls need to try on everything in the store and take even longer...

    ReplyDelete
  26. The video was very interesting. Hm, never heard of Winners before.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It'd be funny to see 10 women next to each other waiving like they're having a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Im not much of a clothes shopping person lol.

    ReplyDelete
  29. As someone whose credit cards were defrauded online - twice! - I can attest that network security can serve a valuable purpose! I'm 99% sure the culprit in my case was PayPal, and I haven't used them since.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It reminds me of a certain feature on Xbox Kinect

    ReplyDelete
  31. seems alright but I would still want to try on the clothes before I buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This reminds me of the change room scene in Tank Girl, Anyways it's been swell but the swelling has gone down now...

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is great for raising awareness. I like it

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sex in the City: Minority Report Style

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's great that innovations are always happening in the arena of network security. Gotta keep people safe when making online purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great read, though I disagree about trying on clothes. I hate clothes shopping :I

    ReplyDelete
  37. so in the future, women won't have to take their clothes off to shop?

    that will be a very sad day for men's fantasies. :(

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't get the point of going to a store just to do handwaving BS. There's no replacement for feeling the fabric, seeing the movement of the cloth, and testing the fit and tailoring.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree with the first sentence of Ada's comment. I would participate in this if I can do it from home. It reminds me a little bit of a company I worked for before the Inernet dropped out back in 2000. I worked for a product placement company in Hollywood (you know putting clothes on the movie stars and on productions, or Coke in the hands of celebrities on TV). They branched out into a dotcom. The dotcom was called AsSeenIn (not to be confused with AsSeenOnTv). AsSeenIn as it were placed products on sets where the rules of the FDC prevented labeling items on public television due to subliminal messaging. So if you wanted to know where the actress got her clothes or where the furniture on the set came from, etc. Then you would go to AsSeenIn.com and look around the set online and click on items you like which took you to where you could buy it. When they branched into research for making it so the customer could use their remote controls instead of the computer to get the information they wanted while they watched TV, well that just bankrupted them.

    All in all, if you think globally, I could see a huge demand for this technology considering factors such as people with self-esteem issues for any number of reasons, handicap customers, mom's of 3 crazy kids like myself (who either can't try anything on without someone crying or buy clothes for them without having to go to several different stores to make them happy-- that blows by the way), the list is really endless.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cool video, we're working on this kind of things at University with Kinect and Move.

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow that videos great, plus the girl is hot. I care more about my clothes fitting well other than looking well. I'm really picky.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I;m not 100% comfortable with that plus i like trying out my own clothes

    ReplyDelete
  43. people will riot if there is ever a blackout.^^

    ReplyDelete
  44. Soon we don't have to get out to do anyting. Its all in teh interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't like that idea... It has to be real for you to truly know if you like it. Companies are sneaky constantly, how do you know they aren't improving you in some way?

    Also, you could try something on and see it has a rip, which saves any hassle of a return... plus, how many shoppers are around? You'd need one per shopper, which would cost a ridiculous amount of money, and would end up added on to the price tags...

    ReplyDelete