Hey guys, thanks for your caring comments. I released the blindfolds today, so to speak, and everything is still kind of blurry but I can see! Need to do regular checkups with the surgeon but it's going along very well.
Other than that, unfortunately not much to update you guys about in regards to University life. Exams are quickly creeping up so it's that season again... Cramming season. And damn, that's the worst season of the year. They say for a student there are only two seasons... Cramming season, and July ;)
Anyway, I know a lot of you guys are also facing upcoming crunch time, so I thought I'd give you guys some tips on how to cram effectively:
1) Be well nourished.
Nothing sucks worth than having hunger pangs or thirst interrupt your studying. In fact, more often than not, getting food or drink is just another procrastination technique. So bring food with you, but don't stock up too much on sugar and caffeine (this will drive you nuts and the subsequent crash will be spectacular). Bring a cool refreshing sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade, something with minerals in it (not friggn red bull, if you can help it). Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, say a salad. Bring healthy junk like oatmeal and energy bars. Don't eat too much in the very beginning! Just hold off the munchies for the first several hours.
2) Set the mood.
Get rid of ALL distractions from your environment. Change into something comfortable, but not PJ's and slippers (this sets the mood for sleep, terrible idea!). Another terrible idea is studying on your bed, just doesnt' work. If it's cold, turn up the heat and or throw on a sweater. Study at a well lit, cleared table away from the TV and computer (use the computer only if you really need it for downloading documents; it's too easy to get distracted on it). Your chair needs to upright, non-mushy. Music is good, but fast or upbeat with no lyrics. Try classical if you've used it in the past, but this often puts people to sleep.
3) Draw an outline.
Set an outline that maps out every 15 to 30 minutes of your studying. I.e. 10:00pm read chapter 1, 10:15 answer chapter 1 questions, 10:30 do supplementary problems. Finishing faster than the allotted time will serve as a motivator, but don't go "hey, I finished early so I can browse the web with the extra 5 minutes!" Nononononono. Finish early, give yourself more time on the next one. If you are late already, push yourself to finish quicker, or set more realistic guidelines. If you can't do it, move on. Furthermore, the outline will help you recall your info during the exam.
4) Don't stress!
Seriously, relax! Cramming is reality! If you stress out and start doubting that you can finish it, then you enter the mentality that you actually won't finish and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. If you have the outline, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to stick to it and finish on time. Stick with it, work diligently. This takes a TON of self discipline so you'll need to work on it.
Best of luck guys! And as always, let me know how your exams go!
thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteI just had 4 exams, 3 more monday, tuesday and wednesday. I will use these tips, and turn off the computer now.
ReplyDeleteReally helpful blog, thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteThis is going to help in a few weeks I can tell, hehe :]
ReplyDeletetagged, will read when finals come up
ReplyDeletethose are some nice tips, I've got an exam coming up, and I think I might be able to use them... Thanks!
ReplyDeleteGetting rid of all the distractions is probably the most imporatant thing to do. For me, of course.
ReplyDeleteI remember the days well. then I dropped out.
ReplyDeletei hate exams..after my graduation for another 2 to 3 years I still woke up mornings with exam fear and fever
ReplyDeleteI really need to learn self discipline... God, had I had ADHD I wouldn't be surprised
ReplyDeletegood to know, thanks
ReplyDeletegood advice
ReplyDeleteThose are some great tips, especially the one about changing into something comfortable but not PJs...I always make this mistake and end up sleeping all day :P
ReplyDeleteI've never done an outline, maybe I should try that. My tests are starting to get ridiculous (
ReplyDeleteI'm having exams coming up and these are great tips! I hate exams though >_<
ReplyDeletethat's fantastic tip thank you
ReplyDeleteJust common sense really, especially with the nourishment thing.
ReplyDeleteJust 1% dehydration causes a 20% drop in concentration.
Usefull tips!
ReplyDeletewow... this may actually help =D
ReplyDeleteI hate cramming T_T.
ReplyDeletethanks a lot for sharing!
ReplyDeletehttp://all-around-toto.blogspot.com/
great tips! they will be useful for the exam that i'll have in two weeks. :) thanks!
ReplyDelete5) Try to avoid the need to cram in the first place.
ReplyDeleteOh man, this post just drove home how close the exams are. Definitely need to start dusting off the textbooks!
ReplyDeleteI tend to focus too much on the nourishing and relaxing parts of your plan, doesn't work out too well.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the surgery went well! Great tips - if I could be so bold, I read back when I was going for my MBA that one should take a 5 min break every 20-25 minutes (it's suppose to help concentrate! Good luck to all on their exams.
ReplyDeleteMan, I'm glad I don't have to cram right now... hehe.. been there, done that :P
ReplyDeletethanks for tips!
ReplyDeletefollowed!
I wish I was this organized when I was in school. I just sat down and crammed, taking occasional breaks for food and restroom trips. ha
ReplyDeleteGreat tips as always.
ReplyDeleteGreat tips, which i had these when i started studying
ReplyDeleteMost of the recent brain research notes that cramming does not work very well. That trading sleep for studying is a bad bargain due to imprinting problems if sleep is sacrificed and that generally your mother was right and slow and steady throughout the year is better than all at once at the end.
ReplyDeleteRelax! Take it eeeeeeeaaaasssyyy!
ReplyDeletegood tips
ReplyDeleterecently crammed a bit haha
but not that much
i tried studying and stuff before hand so it wouldnt all cascade on me haha
thanks for the tips mate.
ReplyDeleteAgree with all of your points. I think caffeine works pretty good too.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're on the mend
ReplyDeleteThe outline thing is important.
ReplyDeleteWow, im glad i found your blog. really informative.
ReplyDeleteGood tips, I've already had my exams though :/
ReplyDeleteThese are actually pretty helpful tips.
ReplyDeleteyeah im studying right now. ugh... thanks though
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm supposed to be doing my term essay right now ahaha
ReplyDeletecramming? forget that - i dont even try anymore
ReplyDeleteCamming always worked when I realized I had a last minute test!
ReplyDeletehttp://floridaweddinginformation.blogspot.com/
great advice, i'll maybe follow them .... !
ReplyDeleteGreat blog!
ReplyDelete+followed
nourishment is the hardest bit, that and getting rid of distractions
ReplyDeleteI've found that it helps if I promise myself some free time later to relax, can help me get through different things like cramming for a test.
ReplyDeleteFlash cards are a god send when it comes to cramming. Have saved me from so many pit falls.
ReplyDeleteMy League of Legends Blog.
Surrender at 20
My BM/Metal blog.
Death with No Redemption
This is how I usually study. I try to to all homework in a different room than where I watch tv or use my computer. Instead of listening to music I throw on some noise cancelling headphones and turn on white noise.
ReplyDeleteI already do these things. Am I alpha?
ReplyDeleteGreat advice here!
ReplyDeletethese are fantastic tips! i need to get off the energy drinks myself :/
ReplyDeleteI wish I would have read this while going to college.
ReplyDeletethese are essential to achieve a higher score. great advice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips, I will use them!
ReplyDeletegood tips!
ReplyDeleteLet there be MORE light... Pink Floyd :)
ReplyDeletethese are good tips, would have needed for the last exams
ReplyDeleteI'll be following this advice soon enough as the semester draws to a close
ReplyDeleteWhen I cram, I like to take long walks in between, really helps relax me and get de-stressed.
ReplyDeleteI've never thought to try #3 before. Good tips!
ReplyDeletegreat tips, cool blog!
ReplyDeleteThis is actually some very useful advice! Normally when I see advice on studying it's all about actually studying tips (such as trying highlighting,etc,etc), which don't really work for me often. This is practical everyone should really follow!
ReplyDelete