Monday, 11 April 2011

Exam tomorrow! -- Car insurance quotes

So this week is terrible. I have exams on three consecutive days so unfortunately I won't be able to post as often. But I'll let you guys know how they go.

My first exam is tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck guys!

EDIT:

Before I head off to sleep, just want to share one last thing! This is something I learnt today, studying for one of my courses....

Those of you who have bought car insurance or gotten car insurance quotes before will understand what this is about. And for those of you who are actuaries, you'll appreciate this even more.

The big factors that go into deciding your car insurance quote or insurance premiums are the following:

Driving history.
The single biggest factor of your auto insurance. If you've crashed a bunch of times, you can forget about getting a decent discount on your insurance. On the other hand, if you have a clean record, car insurance companies LOVE to have you.

Age.
I know I know, it's not a just world. But when it comes to car insurance, it's not only unjust, its downright judgmental, stereotypical, and discriminatory. If you are under 25, you WILL be subject to higher premiums. That's just the insurance law... Sucks to be a teen or new driver because your car insurance will be through the effing roof. But don't fear, upon your 25th birthday they will send you "driving skill" as a birthday present right to your door.

Type of vehicle.
Sports cars or coupes will always cost more insurance-wise than a sedan. That's because sporty cars are much more likely to speed and collide. Newer cars also get charged more, because of the replacement costs. However, if you vehicle has safety features and alarm systems, you might get a discount. Van insurance is surprisingly the same as sedan insurance.

Location.
If you live in a bad town, the theft part of your auto insurance will cost you an arm and a leg. Urban drivers also get charged more than rural dwellers... Makes sense if you think about it, less people to hit, less cars to collide. California is an auto insurance black hole.

Type of coverage.
A lot of people skimp on their coverage to save money on their insurance policy. Some will opt for high deductibles (which is the amount you MUST pay every time you make a claim, unless the other party is 100% at fault). Others will go for reducing the total amount of coverage (there's a lower limit that you can't go below of course). Still others will choose the option of NOT covering their own car, only the other party's costs... Depends what flavour you want, what risk you can take on.


That's it for tonight, exam is in a few hours and I have to sleep. G'night!

64 comments:

  1. Good luck! I panicked yesterday when I realised my exam is in just over a months time. Need to study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck, you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your exams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with the exam. No worries - you'll ace it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck, I'm happy my exams are still some time away

    ReplyDelete
  6. its crazy all of the things that can factor into the cost I can understand most of it though. But thats why I don't own a car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your final exams! I'm having mines as well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck and have fun ( :D )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can't blame insurance companies for covering themselves. It's when they dig their heels in over paying out on a legitimate claim that they come a cropper. Good luck by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. study right before the test! youll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You forgot gender, It's messed up but they do charge differently for men and women.

    Good luck with your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck!!

    Drive safe and wear your seat belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your exams go well! Thanks for the insurance info.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great info. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. im 12 and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the car insurance tips! Also, I hope you do/did well on your test!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. good luck with your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  18. good luck on your test. And the car insurance tips are useful since ill be getting a car within the next month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck on the exams. Insurance is one of the most profitable scams ever devised, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  20. good luck my bro. im at the beginning of my semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for boiling down insurance for me, helps alot when I need to buy it finally

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you do good on your exam

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck on your exams, that info is useful by the way

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucky for me, I manage to avoid driving until my 20s and avoided crashing all the way until now! Good luck with your exam!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man exams suck :( Hope you do well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found weird is that ppl with 1 ticket on their record have higher insurance than say someone with 2 car accidents on their record. I find it crazy! My insurance is $1500 (I have 2 speeding tickets on my record)Having an SUV for a car dosnt slow me down at all. lol

    Good Luck on the exam!=)

    ReplyDelete
  28. best of luck with the exams

    ReplyDelete
  29. Goodluck on your test bro, and great tips on car insurance i need to get my car insured ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  30. Auto insurance is just...balls.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for explaining the different factors that go into your rate.

    ReplyDelete
  32. car insurance is a bitch but i get an okay deal from allstate

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm too poor to buy a car. but it's a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Car insurance isnt required where i live ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good idea centralizing to one blog! Still following man

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good luck on your exam!

    ReplyDelete
  37. good night, and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  38. Insurance just depresses me...but i suppose it's a necessary evil
    Good luck on the exam!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the insurance tips yo can't wait until it goes down

    ReplyDelete
  40. Good luck on your tests! Good car insurance tips as well.

    ReplyDelete
  41. good luck on your exam study hard.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Good luck on your exams and thanks for the tips on car insurance. My insurance is probably gonna go out the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good info and good luck on the exams!
    Insurance companies in some states have what is called "block insurance" (you purchase say a $25,000 block) that is cheaper and covers whatever up to the limit of the block. They will not tell you about it - you have to ask.

    drop by and say hi if u have time

    ReplyDelete
  44. The one time I let my insurance lapse I totaled my truck, go figure

    ReplyDelete
  45. good luck, insurance is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. My insurance is going to rape me :<

    ReplyDelete
  47. Good luck on the exam. And my car insurance is more because I am a young male, ugh

    ReplyDelete
  48. Don't fly what you can't afford to lose. So I'll probably just get a really old car and skip the insurance :) Good luck with your test though!

    ReplyDelete
  49. good luck for your exam brother.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Shoot reminds me...I have to study for exams too...thanks for the reminder. And good luck on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Good luck, hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  52. A good driving record can certainly qualify you for lower car insurance rates. Responsible drivers pay less, bad drivers pay more. Some insurance companies also offer discounts to clients who have completed defensive driving training program as well as when your car comes with anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts, airbags and anti-theft devices.

    Regards,
    Laura from bestlifeinsurancequotes.co.za

    ReplyDelete