Continuing on with our series of Management Information Systems technologies that I learnt in class, our next topic is the Document management systems. The above video very neatly explains the main functions of the Document management system.
Basically the document management system takes all paper documents, files, folders etc, and scans them into the computer for storage and retrieval. Actually, the benefits are much wider than that. Some other advantages of DMS include:
Flexible indexing
Improved, faster, more flexible search
Controlled and improved document distribution
Improved security
Disaster recovery
No lost files
Digital archiving
Improved regulatory compliance
As you can see, it's a very flexible system with many benefits beyond its simplistic appearance. Many businesses are beginning to implement Document management systems in fact; doctors offices and hospitals are resorting to DMS to store all patient files, truck delivery companies are using DMS to store inspection/safety reports and forms, UPS and FedEx already have their entire DMS system set up.
Definitely something worth looking into if you run a complex business with tons of filings and forms!
Technology is wonderful. I love it when things are neat, organized and easy to find. I used to work for a computer store that had a back-end with no indexing. It was a complete nightmare.
A lot of people do say "What if the system crashes?". Well what if your hard copy gets burned because your house or what ever caught on fire? Nothing is 100% effective :P technology just makes it easier to handle.
The OCR step is still the weak link imo. Evernote does a good job of parsing images for text but until it's built into the functionality of an operating system it remains a fork in the path of the document cycle shown.
A paperless office is really the future, but you'll need an awesome backup mechanism aqnd a shitload of server capacity. And I agree with T. Roger: OCR is still pretty week in my opinion.
Hey great post Jessica! I am currently working to find a DMS company for the office. I got several quotes from document management systems the companies were Computhink, FileHold, Visual Vault, WorldView LTD. Do you have any preference or which one of these companies offers the best service? All their quotes were pretty similar, I just want to make sure we go with the best company.
wow really cool. I guess this is the future.
ReplyDeletea paperless world
ReplyDeletewhat if the system fails and loses all data
This is good, I hate paperwork.
ReplyDeleteI dunno I rather a hard copy
ReplyDeleteTechnology is wonderful. I love it when things are neat, organized and easy to find. I used to work for a computer store that had a back-end with no indexing. It was a complete nightmare.
ReplyDeleteclouds are the future. everything should be data these days
ReplyDeleteI dunno! haha
ReplyDeletelooks really useful
ReplyDeleteInteresting video I must say!
ReplyDeletethanks for the vid. :D
ReplyDeleteTHANKS FOR THE VID!
ReplyDeleteNo lost files? How can they guarantee that?
ReplyDeleteI'd much prefer dealing with digital documents than having to keep paper documents organized and files. Fer sure!
ReplyDeleteInteresting.
ReplyDeleteThis must be pretty good revision for you, writing up all this stuff after you've learnt it aha
Wow DMS sounds like something I should look into for my business.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHaha, you can see windows has affected the makers since it has the Disaster recovery feature ^^
ReplyDeletepretty neat!
ReplyDeleteI've used real papers my whole life but i've already gotten used to using the digital ones.
ReplyDeleteHow can they assure that no files are lost? Does it involve uploading to an online bit locker?
ReplyDeleteWhy does the video show the same thing twice, only with different music? lol
ReplyDeletecool
ReplyDeleteLooks useful
ReplyDeleteNice post, but I much prefer hardware back up systems and indexing. timstormsteve.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLooks interesting
ReplyDeleteA great glimpse into the future :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliments
You should read about Mobys Latest Purchase if you have some free time. I am a very dedicated follower! :)
Digital is definitely the future! Keeping things digital also sorta keeps me organised! A definite benefit for me.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, defenitly handy if your running a complicated business
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI learned all about this and I still find this post interesting!
ReplyDeletePlease check my blog out!
katofinance.blogspot.com
You always need a hard copy you never know.
ReplyDeleteVery cool, if complex.
ReplyDeletethat's pretty cool, i should know more about this stuff lol
ReplyDeletethanks for info!
ReplyDeleteCheers for the info!
ReplyDeleteI think I could stand to learn more about this just in case. Knowledge is seldom something bad to have.
ReplyDeletenice work here. You are great!
ReplyDeletelol i check your blog all the time. u dont have to remind me its name :P as for document management... all in one folder, all the time :D
ReplyDeleteI think I read an other blog about the problems with paper files in the medical field. This would probably be a good solution to that problem!
ReplyDeletethis looks great, will have to look into it to see for sure, but thanks anyway
ReplyDeletei usually fold documents into paper airplanes
ReplyDeletegood information, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteA million file cabinets can be stored in something the size of a phone. It's truly amazing.
ReplyDeleteLooks really useful, thanks!
ReplyDeleteA lot of people do say "What if the system crashes?". Well what if your hard copy gets burned because your house or what ever caught on fire? Nothing is 100% effective :P technology just makes it easier to handle.
ReplyDeletehttp://newhypertech.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteHey I have been following your blog for quite sometime and would love feedback on mine from a such an expert blogger and poster.
I really love all this stuff, I hope you feel the same way about mine.
Thanks,
James
Nice finding, thanks a lot for the share!
ReplyDeleteI'd def prefer this over hard copies.
ReplyDeleteA paperless world seems scary I still would like to have a hard copy.
ReplyDeleteI've been pushing something like this in my department. We keep the hard copies but at least if they're ever destroyed
ReplyDeleteThis seems really awesome, but I still think it would be good to have a hard copy as a backup just in case the electronic system fails.
ReplyDeletethat does sound great. it would be very useful with the scanners that put documents into a computer and this program organizing them!
ReplyDeleteWow, good stuff... need a backup of all that, but really impressive. Soon we'll be uploading things to chips in our brains haha.
ReplyDeleteLooks pretty useful.
ReplyDeletePlease check out my blog too!
Looks good. I'll look it at soon
ReplyDeleteUgh, I hate paperwork. I wish I had this at my last job.
ReplyDeletegood info.. thx :)
ReplyDeletenice video
ReplyDeleteNice video. Computer Programmer here, always appreciate videos like this. Following,
ReplyDeletejuju-paintballer.blogspot.com
hmmm looks like this could help the environment a lot.
ReplyDeleteLooks pretty useful.
ReplyDeleteNo more office paper waste? Count me in!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting, a very secure way to protect files.
ReplyDeletePaper just always goes missing, it would be a great way of organizing!
ReplyDeleteCool, thanks
ReplyDeleteI could use this system myself.
ReplyDeleteSounds pretty cool.
ReplyDeletethis would be incredible for businesses, exccellent!
ReplyDeleteComputers is the way to go :)
ReplyDeletethats awesome :O
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of afraid and glad that we've come this advanced...but, it is always good to have a hardcopy that's not on a hard drive.
ReplyDeleteHmmm, may have to look into this a little more for my company.
ReplyDeletecool! you need for a good backup!
ReplyDeleteThe OCR step is still the weak link imo. Evernote does a good job of parsing images for text but until it's built into the functionality of an operating system it remains a fork in the path of the document cycle shown.
ReplyDeleteA paperless office is really the future, but you'll need an awesome backup mechanism aqnd a shitload of server capacity. And I agree with T. Roger: OCR is still pretty week in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteHey great post Jessica! I am currently working to find a DMS company for the office. I got several quotes from document management systems the companies were Computhink, FileHold, Visual Vault, WorldView LTD. Do you have any preference or which one of these companies offers the best service? All their quotes were pretty similar, I just want to make sure we go with the best company.
ReplyDelete