Friday, 29 April 2011

Brief intermission

Hey guys,
So just a few days ago Google/Blogger flagged my blog as spam and shut it down. Therefore, it was offline for a few days as a "brief intermission". Anyone who visited during that period will have found, to their dismay, a message proclaiming that my blog has been removed.

I logged in and discovered that both of my blogs had been deleted along with all of my posts that I put a ton of effort into...  That is not so! Indeed my blog is in full functionality and we are up and running once more. And of course, you'll note that my posts are still right here =).

There is actually a process to follow when your blog has been targetted as spam. Basically, it is an automated system that looks for red flags to suggest that you are a spammer. But if you can request a review and post on the help forums that your blog is not spam (assuming that you have no broken any of their Terms of Service or  criteria for spam) then they will reinstate your blog. The logic is that since you can make this request and post on the help forums... Clearly you must not be a bot. So you get your blog back (seriously, huh.)

Anyway, I'd just like to give you guys some tips to getting your blog back in case it ever gets deleted or locked:
1) Check your dashboard page when you log in to see if there is a link to "request a review" of your blog. If there is, then follow it and submit your request. If not, skip this step.
2) Visit the Blogger Help Forums and click Post a Question. Simply explain your situation that your blog has been shut down, and explain that you are not a spammer.
3) Wait for a response from the moderator. They will get someone (an actual human, not a bot) to check over your blog and reinstate it if appropriate.
4) Meanwhile, read over Blogger's TOS to determine whether you really did violate any terms, knowingly or unknowingly.

If all goes well, your blog will get reinstated and you can continue blogging! Otherwise, your last recourse is to submit an appeal, the link to which can be found with a quick search on the blogger help forums for "my blog is gone!".

Good luck, and happy blogging!

31 comments:

  1. just noticed you have 900+ followers, thats crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had it happen to one of my blogs and never got it restored. Wish I would have seen this sooner.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad to know that you got your blog back! Situations like this prove that automated systems are certainly not perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did not know your blog was flagged, but I am happy that you were able to get it back and running! Great blog, should of never been flagged at the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. phew, i hope i never have that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope i never have that problem too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info, and I'm glad to see your blog is still alive. Would have been a damn shame

    ReplyDelete
  8. 913 followers
    Spammer
    Wat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy it turned out ok in the end and to know you;re not a spammer ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww well at least you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this never comes in handy, but who knows, yeh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering what happened to you :) welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your back :D I'll be saving this post specifically, just in case. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. have to be more careful about those things yo, but good you know how to get yourself out of trouble and such.

    ReplyDelete
  15. good tips, i hope i dont have to do this

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that sucks. At least you got it all back.

    Thanks for the heads up on how to fix it in case I get hosed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a quick heads up, I think you lost all of the blogs you were following. You should see if you can get that fixed. I would think it's possible; my followers count is 8 in my dashboard, but 7 on my blog, so there must be some trace of that information.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should probably check their tos, to be honest I havn't done that yet...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sound advice or just a really clever spambot? :P

    Welcome back, Man.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do we know that it is you and not an impostor? Prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. good that you are back and thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  22. thx for the info... i hope i never need it :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. that's crazy, you've got over 900 followers and they thought your blog was spam? Good to know there's a way to appeal if you run afoul of Blogger's T&S. Must give them a read over to make sure I don't do something inadvertently

    ReplyDelete
  24. great tips - I'm always worried about this happening

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow, glad your blog didn't get shut down! Interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  26. that sucks i dont understand robots dont blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back. I'm glad to see something written about Google where they don't turn out to be evil.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That blows! I'm glad you're back though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha good to know. Whatchu do so good that they didn't like? :3

    ReplyDelete
  30. What on earth with target it as spam? :(

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete