Sunday, 27 March 2011

Project Management Programs

Thanks for all the input guys! Didn't know so many of you were so knowledgeable in Law School stuff and Culinary Arts Schools. Anyway, 2nd year Accounting students have several big project presentations coming up within the next few days (why am I blogging and not working on it? ah!) and I thought I'd take a moment to tell you guys about project management programs because I think all university students could use project management training.

Project management programs teach you the art of managing several projects at the same time. What is project management? Well Wiki defines it as:

 "Program management or programme management is the process of managing several related projects, often with the intention of improving an organization's performance. In practice and in its aims it is often closely related to systems engineering and industrial engineering."

So project management is usually applied in an organizational work setting, and involves learning about how to do multiple projects at once effectievly and efficiently. I took a project management program offered by the VSB in seminar format, but there are course formats or stuff like that too, whichever appeals to you.

Many organizations encourage their employees to take it because they know the benefits of this skill. In fact, your workplace might even be willing to subsidize it too -- check it out!

Anyway, my point is that project management is far more applicable to students than it is to working adults. If you think about it, students use it all the bloody time! I've had several times where I was loaded with 4 or even 5 projects due within the week.

During my project management program, I learnt how to organize my schedule, time management, and most importantly how to structure my projects so that they are applicable to each other and somehow correlated so that you can "double dip" that work. By that I mean using the work or ideas in both projects and in essence killing two birds with one stone.

Give it a shot, let me know what you think of project management programs. I've had great experience in these programs and just wanted to share this handy university tip with all of you so you can excel in your academics. Good luck!

28 comments:

  1. looks to be helpful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working for a software development company, I can say that we're always using PM's for our projects on an every day and every case basis. I think it's a valuable skill to have as it teachers you time management and team building - something everyone should learn. Long are the days of going solo; life isn't an FPS. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that systems and project engineers are in high demand, but I personally think those kinds of jobs demand technical engineering knowledge as well. I hate dealing with SysE's who don't know anything besides schedule and budget...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information! There's some real good software out there that makes this a snap, but it is probably more applicable to the work place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my multi-tasking and focus ability is god awful, I don't even know if a program like that could help me :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. i imagine project management to be sitting back while other people do work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes sense. Too bad I'm no longer in university!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds awesome! I think being organized is a key to be successful in life :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time management is definitely something I need to work on. I always get it all done, but not without a little hair pulling first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a bad procrastinator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate project management, 3 Years of Programming training under my belt, and half of that was spent doing Project management..

    Sigh.. I guess it can't be helped..
    At least I have science now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good insight thank you!

    I finished my 5th music mix. It's quite epic! Check it out =D
    Electro Addict 5th Set

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a really good point. That's why I'm definitely taking some business classes when I'm in college in addition to my comp engineering courses

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice read and helpful as well. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made it through without any project management, but I have always been pretty organized. Sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great info, really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh interesting. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very interesting. Lately I've been using a project management software that has really helped me both at uni and work..you can manage and delegate various projects at a time plus it's easy to communicate through the twitter messaging system.

    hope it helps you!

    http://teambox.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well if you do it right it could save you some serious ammount of time, you get the job done and you have more time for relaxing. I have been using it since I went to college.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great if you can handle it. Organization is not everyones cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind when I head off for college in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hopefully this will help me with my skillz ;)

    supported!
    collegeanon.tk

    ReplyDelete
  23. I might try it, I study software engineering

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with mac-and-me

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im an industrial engineer so this is right up my alley

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was asked about my experiences with project management software. I wanted to say "who needs software, I got MS Office and an email account!" I forget what I BSed (something about Google buzz, docs, and the "cloud") since I don't use dedicated PM software but if I get the job, great.

    ~H. Coct

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm one of the best procrastinators I know.

    ReplyDelete