Thanks for all the input guys! Didn't know so many of you were so knowledgeable in Law School stuff and Culinary Arts Schools. Anyway, 2nd year Accounting students have several big project presentations coming up within the next few days (why am I blogging and not working on it? ah!) and I thought I'd take a moment to tell you guys about project management programs because I think all university students could use project management training.
Project management programs teach you the art of managing several projects at the same time. What is project management? Well Wiki defines it as:
"Program management or programme management is the process of managing several related projects, often with the intention of improving an organization's performance. In practice and in its aims it is often closely related to systems engineering and industrial engineering."
So project management is usually applied in an organizational work setting, and involves learning about how to do multiple projects at once effectievly and efficiently. I took a project management program offered by the VSB in seminar format, but there are course formats or stuff like that too, whichever appeals to you.
Many organizations encourage their employees to take it because they know the benefits of this skill. In fact, your workplace might even be willing to subsidize it too -- check it out!
Anyway, my point is that project management is far more applicable to students than it is to working adults. If you think about it, students use it all the bloody time! I've had several times where I was loaded with 4 or even 5 projects due within the week.
During my project management program, I learnt how to organize my schedule, time management, and most importantly how to structure my projects so that they are applicable to each other and somehow correlated so that you can "double dip" that work. By that I mean using the work or ideas in both projects and in essence killing two birds with one stone.
Give it a shot, let me know what you think of project management programs. I've had great experience in these programs and just wanted to share this handy university tip with all of you so you can excel in your academics. Good luck!
Organizing your sched is one of the most important things to be doing, for anything.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing more enlightening then then ever post you've ever posted. more more more more!!!!
ReplyDeletei should send this to my boss ;)
ReplyDeleteI should send this to some of my trachers :P
ReplyDelete*teachers
ReplyDeleteSame post twice? ;P
ReplyDeletegood update. :D
ReplyDeletePrince2 all the way
ReplyDeleteThanks! good luck to you too :)
ReplyDeletei use google calendars because its easy and good for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWow,was never aware of this before.
ReplyDeletelooks like a useful skill i dont have
ReplyDeleteMy marketing professor was just talking about project management certificates. Apparently they are really useful.
ReplyDeleteYeah I suck at that.
ReplyDeletesounds very good
ReplyDeletemy University mentor is always trying to get me to go to workshops for time management and balancing schedules and stuff to learn about management I've been wanting to go lately and I think I am :)
good post
Good thought!
ReplyDeletegood call
ReplyDeleteYou must work a lot to keep both these blogs updated. I have enough trouble with daily posts on the one!
ReplyDelete