Recently I've been looking into laptop rentals for the many presentations that I do (I don't actually have one of my own). A quick Google search revealed several places that I could rent a laptop around the Vancouver area... My needs aren't very sophisticated, just need a small laptop printer (no need for portable printers or gaming laptops or tablet laptops or none of that) with minimal software requirements.
It's too bad that there are no good student discounts on laptops, or notebook computers for sale, or I would totally just buy one for myself. I know the bookstore at UBC has a discount for Macs, but I'm not in the market for a Mac. So I think my best solution right now is to rent a notebook and just use it for the short period of time I need for the presentations. I requested some quick quotes from the rental companies so I'm waiting on them to get back to me.
Browsing around, there's tons of other useful stuff I can rent too, like LCD projector rentals, presentation equipment, projector and projection screens, LCD monitors, plasma televisions, desktop computers, and even photocopiers (lol!). I can think of like 30 different occasions when I wished I owned a photocopier.
In fact, a photocopier is probably one of the very first things I'll buy for my home when I settle in my career and earn a steady income salary. I guess that makes me a nerd huh?
I've been thinking lately how tablets are becoming the "new" laptops -they are do everything a laptop can, +more.
ReplyDeleteWell, i have a printer that has a scanner in it. So it's a slow photocopier. But for 50 € thats a steal...
ReplyDeleteAlso renting sounds like a very good idea
Probably not as nerdy as you think. But if you just want a laptop for presentation and stuff, why not one of the tiny netbooks that are like $300. Can't be much more expensive then renting a laptop for a awhile.
ReplyDeleteHaving your own photocopier would be so nice.
ReplyDeletegreat stuff, thanks for the post
ReplyDeletei get used laptops from friends when they buy new ones i dont know how much time you have but if i come up with another one ill be more the happy to donate it to you it wont be one of those olp p4 single core either
ReplyDelete"I can think of like 30 different occasions when I wished I owned a photocopier."
ReplyDeletelikewise
Guess we are both nerds then :D
ReplyDeleteHave never thought about renting a laptop, but it is actually a great idea!
ReplyDeleteIm thinking of buying a laptop soon.
ReplyDeletewow i cant live without my laptop idk how you manage
ReplyDeleteyeah my latop is essential to me
ReplyDeletenice one!
ReplyDeleteYeah, kinda hard to get by on campus without a laptop these days. If you don't have the cash to throw down at least $500, though I guess pretty much have to look into rental options.
ReplyDeletewould you not want your own digital private working space though?
ReplyDeleteLol it's okay to be a nerd :p
ReplyDeleteI have one of the tiny netbooks as mentioned above, some can even go as low as $250, last I checked on newegg, anyway. I'm pretty damn happy with mine, but if something were to happen to it, I'd consider renting.
ReplyDeletei would just get a cheap lap top then constantly rent one, would not like that.
ReplyDeleteI have a netbook and wireless printer and love them both. The netbook fits in my purse and cost around $300.
ReplyDeletei use it from school
ReplyDeleteI worked for the small office / home office tech support for canon a while back. their laser copiers/fax/printers/scanners are really sick. I think the 4200 or something was my favorite. the black/grey one at the very least was my favorite. just my two cents.
ReplyDeleteYou could probably just find a netbook, those are generally just a couple hundred bucks.
ReplyDeleteI really need a new laptop. The battery on mine is dead, and getting a new battery is only delaying teh inevitable.
ReplyDeleteI'd rather just use a computer at the library and save my money to purchase my own laptop. But that's just me. Followed.
ReplyDeleteWear the "nerd" title with great pride, friend!
ReplyDeleteI agree, buy one laptop for like 300 bucks, beats the hell of renting one for god knows how long
ReplyDeleteI have an A3 printer, works like a charm!
ReplyDeleteinteresting I've never thought of doing this
ReplyDeleteYou're better off buying an old laptop off ebay for cheap. Saves me a bunch of money
ReplyDelete3 reactions:
ReplyDelete1. Do you need a computer or a printer or both. I get confused easily.
2. Asus Eee PCs are a great value. The 10 inch models have keyboards that are big enough for even my giant fingers to type on comfortably.
3. Lexmark makes a model of computer printer for about $60 that has a flat bed scanner/ copier that will spit out color or black and white copies quickly. I own such a machine and I like it well enough.
Don't worry man, I'm a total nerd too :) technology-flow.com proves it xD
ReplyDeleteseriously? i didnt know ttheres such thing as laptop renting
ReplyDeleteeh just use the school library
ReplyDeleteYou're in Vancouver? I am too! Well, near it. That's awesome.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you could rent laptops. Cool bro.
ReplyDeleteI think my school offers something like that.
ReplyDeleteA personal photocopier can be a life saver, but you should get one of those with a printer, scanner and fax, all in one.
ReplyDeleterenting laptops?
ReplyDeleteno thanks.
I'd definitely suggest buying a cheap one over renting. From a truly reputable laptop rental place you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with problems caused by previous renters, but you still might find yourself using it often enough to wish you'd bought one. I assume you have considered the possibility of bringing a thumbdrive with you and using the classroom computer for presentations.
ReplyDeletewould probably be best to just get a $200-$300 netbook
ReplyDeletefollowing
hazdbot.blogspot.com
Rental places love to rake college student over the coals, and God Forbid something happens to a rented laptop, save yourself the hassle and buy an older one if you can scrape up the cash.
ReplyDeleteI agree with hwidman and docstout, look at all of the notebook computers or netbooks available for sale (new or used) before renting. My old roommate rented a laptop for a semester, and it worked fine, but he ended up spending about as much as it would have cost to simply buy one.
ReplyDeletehi there. nice site. you have shared useful information. keep up the good work! this blog is really interesting and gives good details.
ReplyDeleteLaptop Rentals
Oh Gos this is just great, in fact I'm Laptop Rentals and it's fabulous.My dad who likes to visit Laptop Rentals says that when you go sometime it's awesome.
ReplyDeleteLaptop Rentals