Hey guys,
So recently I've been taking a seminar on personal finances and it's really interesting. I thought I'd share it with you guys because this is something everybody needs to know. And not just students either! There are a bunch of different tips one can use to master one's own personal finance, and I present to you Part 1 of the Personal Finance series, right here on AlphaBetaLife.
The Personal Finance Series
Part I: Take Inventory.
The first thing you need to know in order to [re]gain control of your personal finances is to understand where you stand. This can be seen as from the accounting perspective of assets and liabilities. In layman's terms, assets are everything that you own and liabilities are all your debts.
Create a simple balance sheet for yourself, much like a company does every couple months. Write down "Assets" as the heading and hammer out everything that you own on that one sheet. Have a chequing account at the Royal Bank? Then enter a line "Cash - $XXX". Own a house? "Property - $XXX". Got a GIC or buy stocks in your spare time? "Short-term Investments - $XXX". Sum this all up; this is your Total Assets.
Next, sum up all of your liabilities. So put that as a new header under your list of assets, and figure out everything you owe. Owe your friend some money that you expect to pay back? "Loan - $XXX". Credit card bill? "Accounts Payable - $XXX". You can further differentiate these based on time: The "liabilities" heading can be broken down into "current liabilities" to list everything that you expect to pay back within the year. "Non-current" would then be everything you'll pay back later than a year.
All these line items can be named whatever. So instead of "Accounts Payable" feel free to put "Credit-Card Payable" or whatnot. It's just that accountants have a set of predefined account titles that are almost universal.
Now once you have the Total Assets and Total Liabilities, subtract liabilities from assets. Congratulations, you have just found out exactly how much money you are worth. This will be very important later for Part II: Plan Ahead.
So stay tuned!
Always a good idea to take a class like that.
ReplyDeleteI always find it so hard to evaluate my properties. My books, my games, my other stuff. Do I check ebay for prices? :P
ReplyDeletevery helpfull thanks
ReplyDeletealways helpful. gotta keep check of all that stuff; ive been doing it recently.
ReplyDeleteGood advice!~
ReplyDeleteGreat advice mandem!
ReplyDeleteMy liabilities totally outweigh my assets... life of a college student :p
ReplyDeleteif everyone took this classes there would be no poor people,probably not...
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'm worth too much then. hehehe
ReplyDeleteInsightful as always!
ReplyDeleteConfusing to me though, but thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the simple instruction.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I want to know how much I'm worth, hahah.
ReplyDeletegreat tips as always, thanks alot man!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the good advice.
ReplyDeleteMy accounting final is in two weeks argh
ReplyDeleteGood stuff. Can't wait for part 2.
ReplyDeleteI studied accounting at university but still cant keep my finances in order.
ReplyDeleteHmm. Assets=very little. Liabilites=a lot. Man, I;m screwed in the short game
ReplyDeleteVery usefull information, thanks bro ;D
ReplyDeleteUseful, thanks.
ReplyDeleteUsefulbut I think I'm too far gone.
ReplyDeletePersonal Finance is a wonderful thing to know!
ReplyDeleteIsn't the basic idea...don't spend more than you make? ;p
ReplyDeleteI have followed your blog..Could you follow mine too please?
Sky Stock Analysis
This is perfect timing because I am moving into my own apartment soon...yes!
ReplyDeleteI'm not good with finances, but this sounds rather logical ;D
ReplyDeleteExcellent blog! Enjoyed reading it, keep them posts coming =)
ReplyDeleteGreat advice!
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to say but hard to do, like quit smoking.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeletethanks! great post
ReplyDeleteGreat advice bro.
ReplyDeleteYep, I'm worth negative dollars.
ReplyDeletewoah very interesting. Cant wait to see the 2nd part :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's worth noting that cars can be more of a liability than an asset, so take care when considering them. They constantly go down in value, and can often break down, costing anywhere from 15 to -big number- dollars.
ReplyDeleteI have a lot more assets than liabilities. I believe thats good
ReplyDeletehm... Liabilites vs assets... does not break even . LOL. oh well... lets just hope for the best and that I win the lottery!
ReplyDeleteI like big assets
ReplyDelete;D
thanks for the info, could be very useful!
ReplyDeletei stay tuned!
ReplyDeletegreat work. cant wait to see #2 :D
ReplyDeleteawesome, lord knows I need this advice
ReplyDeleteI am taking inventory right now.
ReplyDeleteWow, this is a very effective way of keeping track of your money.
ReplyDeletethanks man! very nice
ReplyDeleteWow thanks, i was actually about to read up on personal finances, so this is a great start.
ReplyDeletewould you like to be my accountant? lol
ReplyDeleteGood advice for ever one.thank you.:)following.
ReplyDeleteThis is probably a really good idea.
ReplyDeletealways helpful. gotta keep check of all that stuff; ive been doing it recently.
ReplyDeleteIts very interesting.. nice blog
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by! I really do appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment...I read each and everyone of them. I hope your day is a good one and that you will come back again soon. Take care. Nelson Souzza :)
ReplyDeletethanks for the great tips!
ReplyDeletevery helpful. im a student and I appreciate it !
ReplyDeleteGood first step looking forward to future updates. Need some advice for this subject.
ReplyDeletewaiting for part II !!
ReplyDeleteOh, so depressing - you just reminded me savings for a break soon are being hit hard by bills just before I leave. >: I
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good advice. Waiting on part two...
ReplyDeleteFollowing and supporting. :) I do the same for all my followers.
ignoranceistruth.blogspot.com
Always have a plan!
ReplyDeleteI think you are better than most mmmm
ReplyDeleteFailing to plan is planning for failure!
ReplyDelete$upporting!
this is sooooohhhh boring...
ReplyDeleteWhere are my puzzles??
Sweet, please follow mine
ReplyDeletehttp://noxploderesults.blogspot.com\
SIQ POST BRO!!!
ReplyDeletevery useful post, thanks!
ReplyDeleteA plan life is a good one.
ReplyDeleteI think you are better than most
ReplyDeletebuy Tramadol 200 mg onlinehere
order Soma 500 mg there