Sunday, 8 May 2011

Update on Accounting Internship

Hey guys,
Just wanted to keep you up to date with my accounting internship. Well really that's all I can talk about, seeing as this is a "school" blog and school is out for 4 months so technically, this internship will be my school for the next little while =).

SO anywho, man accounting is hard work. Especially working for Deloitte... Because those guys will work ya hard. One thing I noticed is that accounting firms have TONS of paperwork to deal with. Like stacks upon stacks of paper to be filled out and stuff, and after that they still need to be filed. Now, most of the stuff is already filed by Document Management System (read more about them here) so can you imagine how difficult it must be to coordinate everything. Unfortunately as the lowly intern, I have to do a lot of the filing... =(

Luckily, that's not all they ask me to do (otherwise I wouldn't be there lol). I still get to do other fun stuff like bookkeeping (yes, us accountants consider this fun!). Debit, credit, debit credit... And so it goes. A cool thing about this position is that I get to talk to a lot of clients and see their financial situations... And damn, what situations some of these people are in.

It's rather hard to believe how people can be so out of touch with their finances... How is managing your money so difficult when that is one of the most daily used things in your life? And damn, the sheer amount of debt that people and companies take on is astounding. Like mindblowing. Given the size of the company and the money they make, you wonder how they're ever going to pay it back... But they do! No question about it. Everytime I see one with a huge debt, I show my mentor but he seems completely unphased. "Typical," was his reply.

Ah, back to work tomorrow, more stories to come!

89 comments:

  1. Good post until you reminded me I have work tomorrow too ahh

    ReplyDelete
  2. but i'm only 73 thousand dollars in debt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you aren't having too tough of a time with your internship. I'm getting an intern here pretty soon, and he'll be much worse off haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of work. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah debit and credit... these guys grow on you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will admit, I have a spending problem. But my smart move....never opened a credit card! And thats how im being smart with my money!=) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. meh u only live once. lets go crazayy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome that you managed to get an internship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pretty good about living within my means, even though it means I've had to move back in with my parents for awhile. My only debt is my student loans. After that I hope to keep it pretty manageable. Good luck with your mountains of paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really happy there are people like you that find this stuff fun. If the financial world depended on people like me it would grind to a screaming halt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blogging work! Keep up the good work you make really good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. why paperwork ? aren't we in a digital age ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even know what to spend my money on. Everything i buy not necessary for surving are cheap shirts and books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol oh boy, I wish I could do bookkeeping! Well, whatever works for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great that you got intership

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paid or slave labour? ;)

    Hey, the best stories and lots of interesting things can happen at the "lowly ranks". Have fun at your internship

    ReplyDelete
  17. good read, one day youll make alot of money with those skills!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like easy paperwork, have fun moving up the ladder

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate that we live in a culture where we have to "manage our money" as if that is the most crucial element in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually aim to be at a point where I don't manage my finances, but I guess this is why people get in legal trouble later on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with banacek. It would be great if we could live in a trade based society. It probably wouldn't work but it's still nice to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can only do basic bookkeeping...like managing my own litle amount of money...I would be too afraid to deal with huge numbers of debit and credit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great! but too expensive for me..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Internships are great experience and resume builders, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. isnt accounting boring though?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol. you should help me device a plan to repay my student loan

    ReplyDelete
  27. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    I hope you have success with your internship! I know you can get a lot of experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmm interesting post more sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gratz on the internship! Hopefully they don't work you too hard even if you're the fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, nice. I can't wait to finish school and gt a real job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck with all that, hope your not overcome by the stacks of paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's nice that you got it :) but I think it'll be hard work... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  33. live love laugh.
    $upported! get me back.:)
    thefitmuscle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    its tough being an accountant, been one for a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad there's people out there that take an interest in this sort of thing, so people like us have someone to trust their accounts with.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Accounting is sure very tough, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  37. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    Sounds like you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  38. meh u only live once. lets get started.

    ReplyDelete
  39. suggest a scanning solution with OCR for all that paper... sounds like your having fun

    ReplyDelete
  40. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    I definitely try to keep overview of my finances, it can get out of hand pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  41. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    That is pretty interesting. I'm going to do my best to never be in debt :D Going to invest in good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  42. At some point in the past or in the future, debt has or will exceed credit, and we'll be entirely within an imaginary financial reality that is stuffed inside a second financial reality.

    Complete economic black hole.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hate hate hated filing. Especially in the case (which was most of the time) that I knew the files I was going through were overwhelmingly likely to never be looked at again. Felt so tedious and pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Do they really pay it out or do they mostly get swamped and go down? :3

    Naywho, people should be better with money. I agree. And we should usurp the federal reserve. viva la economic freedom~ Maybe I'll be a hippy... but I'm not bad with money. I that's a catch 22 somehow.

    Oh and I gave you Award Spam!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't think I can ever be interested in other peoples debts...
    in their money however....

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey keep up the good work at your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I hope you're getting paid seeing as how you're doing actual work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congrats, I've been working on my computer programming internship stuff all day

    ReplyDelete
  49. good luck with your intership

    ReplyDelete
  50. Best of Luck my friend, and yeah im with T. Rogers cuz it sucks to do all the work and not even getting a Thank your for your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  51. I never go into debt and I dont ever plan on it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. wish i was rich enough to need an accountant :/

    ReplyDelete
  53. AnonymousMay 09, 2011

    Sounds like a lot of work, but it pays off :D

    ReplyDelete
  54. My bro in law is an accountant. I don't see how you guys do it e.e

    ReplyDelete
  55. Good luck on your internship. Work hard and keep it honest and I'm sure everything will end up great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! That sounds crazy! Life sounds very exciting, and I never thought I would say that about accounting! Haha. Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Good luck with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  58. AnonymousMay 10, 2011

    Dont go into debt.. its an ugly spiral into hell

    ReplyDelete
  59. Keep up the hard work ;D

    ReplyDelete
  60. i always hated accounting

    ReplyDelete
  61. nice i hate being in debt :(

    ReplyDelete
  62. that does indeed sound like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  63. keep us updated, sounds really interesting but also hard :D

    ReplyDelete
  64. man thats intense, worth the work though

    ReplyDelete
  65. Yeah the subject is pretty hard, stick at it tho, and soon you'll be rollin in ca$h! :D

    ReplyDelete
  66. good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  67. AnonymousMay 10, 2011

    Good luck. Sounds like you're learning a lot. I can't talk too much crap about people w/ debt, I'm afraid, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I'm happy for you and all.. its just, better you, than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. nice man! yea im gonna do an internship soon too and im prety nervous

    ReplyDelete
  70. Accounting..... :(

    ReplyDelete
  71. Good luck on your internship. There is nothing more important in joblife than a good reference.

    ReplyDelete
  72. ive heard a lot of milionaires have went bankrupt 3-4 times before they finally got to where theyre at

    ReplyDelete
  73. AnonymousMay 11, 2011

    Hehe, interesting :P

    ReplyDelete
  74. Oh looks like some hard work, keep it up though, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  75. I plan on going bankrupt 3-4 times, surely. Problem is being a millionaire doesn't even get you health care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  76. AnonymousMay 11, 2011

    good luck. sounds like a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  77. hard work but i promise it will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  78. i hope you'll made it! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  79. good luck on your internship

    ReplyDelete
  80. nice going, try to make my debt papers disappear, please!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Money isn't easy to manage, especially if we talk about huge amounts of it! Companies don't really take that as a problem since there are accounting firms that help them. On the other hand, you should do tasks other than filing and bookkeeping. Did the company allow you to do more job routines? You should try using their accounting programs, if they have any.

    Jamie Shellman

    ReplyDelete