Saturday, 10 September 2011

Back from Alaska!

Hey guys!
I'll bet everyone is wondering where I've been for the last few weeks. I was on a cruise ship visiting beautiful Alaska with my family. It was a 7-day cruise through the inside passage, on Holland America's Volendam ship.


While the rooms and the facilities on this ship were a bit dated, what it lacked in that field it more than made up for with the food. They really outdid themselves! Between the Lido buffet, Canaletto Italian restaurant, Terrace Grill barbeque, Pinnacle Grill restaurant, and Rotterdam fine dining, the place was heaven. Even the buffet, which are usually notorious for poor quality food unfortunately, was top notch. From paté to roast beef, it was absolutely scrumptious and the selection was just impeccable.

And of course, beautiful, beautiful Alaska...

That was the Mendenhall Glacier that we saw in Juneau. Isn't that just freaking gorgeous? We were literally a stone's throw away from it, snapping up all the pictures my poor SD card could muster. All three ports of call, Junean, Ketchikan, Skagway, were tiny... One could easily comb through downtown in half an hour. Guess I'm used to my big city Vancouver downtown with its massive web of streets...

Of all the places, I think Skagway had the best story behind it. Skagway is the ghost town remnants of the 1896 Klondike Gold Rush. It was "run" by notorious Soapy Smith and his gang of conmen, thieves, murderers and marauders.



Next post: My first week of school =)

51 comments:

  1. Oh, my God. That's beautiful!I'm sure it must be very cold right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you were in heaven for seven days, I would love to go into such an Adventure for 7 days, I hope you had a good holiday and good to have you back :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. untouched nature, fucking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. D:
    I wish I lived there. It's like the most beautiful place on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, you're so lucky for going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gained a little weight with all that food around, didn't 'cha? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi you are very lucky! It is my dream to visit Alaska!
    Greetings from Greece..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful, but I would still rather go to Caribbean :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fun but I have to admit I'd rather go somewhere warmer especially with Winter coming very soon. Cool blog posts, and I look forward to hearing about your first week of school so I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well that's another thing to cross off your bucket list. i myself have never seen a glacier let alone had a holiday on a cruise ship, you are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that view looks scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pics, quite beautiful. I hope you have a good first week of school. Mine was.. Quite busy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy carp that's some beautiful scenery :) Glad ou had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. good luck for the school return ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Remarkable, well-written, and entertaining articles you have here :)

    Nice blog !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that looks AMAZING! I haven't been on a cruise since I was in 6th grade haha. Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous scenery up there. I think a cruise ship is the ultimate vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is pretty awesome. i should go ther

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, it sounds like you had a good time. Why did you come back? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. never been there or tried a cruise. I think its time. theyve become much more affordable

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, you gotta watch out for cruise food. Gua-ran-TEED to put on weight unless you're actually using their workout facilities and pool.

    I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't decide if I ever want to visit Alaska or not...

    ReplyDelete
  23. hope you enjoyed it!
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  24. Said a million times before, but it's such a beautiful landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's very lucky of you. I hope you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They have to feed you well in alaska, there just isn't much else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow that sounds like it was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really don't enjoy cruises.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yeah - beautiful Alaska !
    Listen, hate to bust in on the conversation like this, but i have a problem !
    My best friend says my blog is so sexist/anti-feminist he won't associate with me any more !
    This is fuckin' crazy ! i LOVE women. Please tell me what YOU think. www.prisonerart.blogspot.com.
    I feel rotten about this !

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wish you would share pictures of the architecture inside the ship.. I love the people who design those things

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now that's nice, would love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Alaska, eh? Sweet! Any chance you bagged yourself a Palin? If so, I hope you threw it back.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That Glacier looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like a good time

    ReplyDelete
  35. i've always wanted to take a cruise there

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a nice place! I hope you've had a really good time and you're not suffering "post-holiday syndrome" :-p

    ReplyDelete
  37. glad you had such a good time. I've been to Alaska too. It is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I got a couple of shirts from Alaska... They're pretty kewl...

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've yet to go on a cruise. An Alaskan cruise might be just what the doctor ordered. Looks beautiful. Sounds like you had a great time....and the food sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Alaska is awesome but I haven't done a cruise up there yet. Gotta do it soon. Good blog +1 following

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like an awesome cruise, great scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks fantastic! I've just got back from Thailand myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Whoa.... awesome! I envy you, I would like to go on a trip like this !! Beautiful scenery O_o

    ReplyDelete
  44. hiii it is beautiful.pls follow me I follow you

    ReplyDelete