Sunday, 21 August 2011

Group is poised for collapse

Hey guys,
Here's a mindblowing article I read about Groupon.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/13/why-groupon-is-poised-for-collapse/

Essentially, Agrawal argues that Groupon operates as a loanshark, preying on other small businesses to stay afloat. They offer an enticing upfront cash payment (the principal) in exchange for large portions of the revenues (interest payments), while the company is forced to practically give away its goods (repayment).

Don't get me wrong, as a consumer I think Groupon is brilliant - who doesn't want 50 - 90% discount on meals, entertainment, goods, and services? And on the surface, it seems wonderful because it drives customers to spend more, yields clients to small businesses, etc etc etc. Unfortunately, all of that comes at the expense of the business.

Nevertheless, there have been some places that I have made repeat purchases thanks to an introduction from Groupon. Qoola, the frozen yogurt favourite in Vancouver, immediately comes to mind. I have gone back multiple times for their regular priced product simply because it tastes delicious, and is healthier than ice cream or gelato. Granted, it does take an outstanding business to benefit from Groupon. My argument would be that not every rundown shop can post a Groupon and expect an overnight turnaround. Customers aren't going to return if the food is bad, or the perceived price-value relationship is not enough. But for the companies that are suitable for this type of marketing, then Groupon can be a major boost to traffic.

50 comments:

  1. I tend to ignore marketing stunts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting. Never knew how they do their business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article, although I was kind of confused by the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. never used ther coupons anyways

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting view actually. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessi, you are so smart! I heard the same thing, groupon is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coupons can be good if you do find yourself going back for the thing at full price because it was just that good, which is good for everyone really. Still, I'm getting sick of seeing Groupon adverts. It's always sad when a business goes under though :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like any promotional technique really. The company has to decide whether the the benefits are worth the cost. You have to be confident that your product is going to bring it and establish loyalty in your customer base, otherwise it's an unnecessary expense. No point in promoting your wares if they're junk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Business is 99% dishonesty 1% luck. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it's really risk and reward. But if you have good food and great service, you can bet on returning customers

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been hearing that the collapse is imminent for months now though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post :P
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting stuff, I just had a night at a posh hotel last night on Groupon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a big fan of Groupon of Living Social... they bombard you with ads like crazy... it all seems a little sleazy to me for some reason. I have friends that regularly use them though, and love it, so maybe I'm just being paranoid?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never used Groupon, as it sounds like the title to a porno flick and seemed a touch, shady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a fan of their system anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I've never really used Groupon, even back when I WAS in Bellingham.

    On the other hand, it sounds like I might wanna give them a shot, if for no other reason than to see what kind of sale opportunities exist using such a system.

    ReplyDelete
  18. go to: cbc.ca/spark

    they give you the honest lowdown... + tons more info on electronics, and more...

    i see you're from the 'wet' side of that clan! :O lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I want some frozen yogurt...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew there was something fishy about them from their commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't really understand what Groupon was until just now, but I'm not surprised they're a bunch of bloodsuckers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read few of your writes-ups.I thought it was great.So I thought I would add you as a friend so that we can read each others work. Hope you have a great day.New Emerging Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like someone already said, it just depends on the company. It's not like they HAVE to use Groupon. They just need to weigh the pros and cons of their situation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really didn't think groupons and such pages had a downside at all. O_o
    Following and supporting, mate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Follow that thread, TechCrunch had a ton of posts on the subject and several businesses say that it was worked out amazingly for their business. There are repeat customers 2 and 3 time groupon customers that say it is an amazing marketing tool. Milage may vary, ect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Knowing the mechanics of it, that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's ideal for a business to make an entry into the market, just like any advertising campaign it will be a major expense, but if the product is good then the customers will come back of their own accord

    ReplyDelete
  28. I find that foursquare works better than Groupon, and it's probably better for business.
    Foursquare tracks nearby locations and you check-in and occasionally get deals. Repeat customers sometimes have even better offers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always wanted to try frozen yogurt, never seen any though. More's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i dont care much about what they use as long as it dosnt end up costing more to me the consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will have to checkout groupon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I use groupon all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never used even one groupon. I thought they were just for girls??

    ReplyDelete
  34. Isn't being on the merchant end of coupon always gambling?

    ReplyDelete
  35. interesting post....
    http://silenceriver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. always seem like a shady business to me

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice post ..... I never really read into it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't used Groupon before, although I've seen some good deals in there

    ReplyDelete
  39. Read this again, realized why I was so confused. Definitely needed to read the previous parts lol

    ReplyDelete
  40. even though the article has some good points, i disagree that it's doomed to fail

    ReplyDelete
  41. I haven't tried groupon, now i definitely wont.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's bound to happen eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It does seem like a good idea, though. If a business ends up failing because of it it's really their own fault

    ReplyDelete
  44. Groupon started off so good and then just dissolved into junk and scams.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Groupon is not doing well in China.

    ReplyDelete
  46. There should be money to be had in developing an internet coupon business- if they don't succeed, someone will.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Groupon, the tampon you can share with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I really never thought about Groupon like that before. You made some excellent points!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for such informative blog about Group is poised for collapse. It really prove worthwhile in my How does groupon work business.

    ReplyDelete